Cite this page: Horowitz R. Employee retention. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/managementlabretention.html. Accessed January 23rd, 2019.
Definition / general
- An important measure of laboratory administration's competence is employee turnover
- Every time an employee is replaced, there is a 3 to 6 month period of decreased productivity while the new employee "gets up to speed"
- More than 20% annual turnover in technologists and more than 30% annual turnover in lower job categories is excessive
- The laboratory needs a formal program to assure employee retention and this should include:
- Emphasizing worker relevance and achievement
- Recognizing productive work
- Establishing a recognition and reward mechanism
- Maintaining a career ladder – promotional opportunities
- Providing continuing education, in-house and external
- Providing adequate compensation
- Providing unique benefits, e.g., Child Care
- Providing a pleasant work environment