Cite this page: Pernick N. Normal: anatomy. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/mandiblemaxillanormalanatomy.html. Accessed June 25th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Contain primitive embryonic structures from early fetal development to 25 years of age
- Divided into alveolar bone (supports teeth) and body with variable thickness ranging from paper thin overlying roots of cuspid (canines) and bicuspid (premolar) teeth to thick at apex of chin
- Receptor for lower teeth
- Consists of curved horizontal body and two perpendicular rami
- Forms upper jaw, boundaries of roof of mouth, floor and lateral wall of nose, floor of orbit
- Consists of zygomatic, frontal, alveolar and palatine processes