Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Ameloblastoma - peripheral soft tissue variant. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/mandiblemaxillaperipheraltissue.html. Accessed April 30th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Men and women ages 40 - 60 years
- Soft tissue of posterior gingiva and ascending ramus
- True peripheral variants may be less aggressive than intraosseous tumors
- Cross sectional imaging, rather than plain film imaging, is imperative to exclude an intraosseous ameloblastoma with a prominent extraosseous component.
- Gingival lesions with radiographic ‘cupping’ of the bone may not be peripheral ameloblastoma, but a very peripherally placed intraosseous ameloblastoma that has perforated (Head Neck Pathol 2010;4:192)