Cite this page: Gulwani H. Meningocele - cystic. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/mediastinummeningocele.html. Accessed July 15th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Posterior mediastinum cysts in infants or children which communicate with meninges, usually through a defect in vertebral bodies
- Contain clear / amber cerebrospinal fluid
- Usually incidental finding identified prior to surgery
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Thick fibrous wall, lined by flattened arachnoid cells
- Variable neural tissue, calcification