Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Pernick N. Fibroosseous lesions. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/nasalfibroosseouslesions.html. Accessed May 28th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Fibrous dysplasia, ossifying fibroma, cementoossifying fibroma (also called psammomatoid ossifying fibroma in extragnathic facial bones)
- Above disorders represent parts of microscopic spectrum
- Fibrous dysplasia: irregular shapes ("Chinese letters") of woven bone without osteoblastic rimming; Xray usually shows ill defined borders and ground glass or orange peel quality; 20% recur
- Ossifying fibroma: trabeculae of lamellar bone with prominent osteoblastic rimming; Xray usually shows well circumscribed margins and punched out appearance; rarely recurs
- Cementoossifying fibroma: sharply defined, irregular, calcified spherules in densely fibrotic stroma with nonlinear bony trabeculae