Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Case reports | Treatment | Clinical images | Gross description | Microscopic (histologic) description
Cite this page: DeVilliers P, Thakral C Aphthous ulcers. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/oralcavityaphthous.html. Accessed September 23rd, 2019.
Definition / general
- Also called canker sores
- Affect 40% in U.S.
- More common up to 20 years
- Painful, recurrent and familial
- 26 year old HIV+ man with recurrent ulcer treated with laser therapy (Case Rep Med 2012;2012:695642)
- Single or multiple, shallow, hyperemic ulcerations covered by a thin exudate with hyperemic rim
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Initially mononuclear infiltrate, then neutrophilic infiltrate from secondary bacterial infection