Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Drawings | Clinical images | Gross description | Microscopic (histologic) images
Cite this page: DeVilliers P, Thakral C Diphtheria. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/oralcavitydiphtheria.html. Accessed November 17th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Upper respiratory tract illness caused by Corynebacterium diphtheriae, a facultative anaerobic and Gram positive bacterium
- Characterized by sore throat, low fever and an adherent membrane (pseudomembrane) on tonsils, pharynx, nasal cavity
- May lead to myocarditis (20%), neuropathy (10%)
- Diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus (DPT) vaccine recommended for all school age children in U.S.
- Dirty white, fibrinosuppurative, tough, inflammatory membrane over tonsils and posterior pharynx