Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Case reports | Treatment | Clinical images | Microscopic (histologic) images
Cite this page: Thakral C Granulomatous inflammation. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/oralcavitygranulomatousinflamm.html. Accessed June 19th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Associated with chronic recurrent tonsillitis
- Usually benign course, no specific organism recovered
- Must rule out infectious causes (tuberculosis, tertiary syphilis, salmonella, mycotic granulomas), systemic causes (sarcoidosis, Crohn's, Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's), eosinophilic granuloma), foreign body reaction, cholesterol granuloma
- Idiopathic orofacial granulomatosis: condition restricted to oral and maxillofacial region without any identifiable systemic granulomatous disease
- Individualized and often needs to change for each patient; includes corticosteroids or other drugs, gingivectomy