Cite this page: Thakral C Periodontitis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/oralcavityperiodontitis.html. Accessed September 19th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Recurrent and continuous gingivitis that affects alveolar bone
- Causes bone destruction and pockets around teeth > 3 mm in depth
- Plaque within pockets serves as nidus for mineralization (dental calculus), causing progressive disease until gingival scarring and bony erosion lead to loss of teeth
- Usually diagnosed clinically
- Scaling and planing of root surfaces to remove focal irritants
- Brushing and flossing