Cite this page: DeVilliers, P. Syphilis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/oralcavitysyphilis.html. Accessed January 20th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Primary stage called chancre, has painless ulcerations
- Secondary stage has mucous patches along oral mucosa
- Tertiary stage is characterized by destruction of bone called gumma
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Granulomas with giant cells, plasma cells, vascular changes
- Immunoperoxidase stain for Treponema pallidum demonstrates numerous spirochetes