Ovary - nontumor
Hypothyroidism and ovarian cysts
Reviewer: Shahid Islam, M.D., (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 5 June 2012, last major update June 2012
Copyright: (c) 2002-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Includes Van Wyk and Grumbach syndrome and nonsyndromic cases
Van Wyk and Grumbach syndrome (VWGS)
● First described in 1960 (J Pediatr 1960;57:416)
● Juvenile hypothyroidism, precocious puberty and ovarian enlargement
● Ovaries regress with thyroid hormone replacement
● Diagnosis based on imaging findings and thyroid function analysis (Endocr Pract 2007;13:652, Pediatr Radiol 2008;38:538)
● 9 year old girl with recurrent bilateral ovarian masses (University of Pittsburgh)
● 21 year old woman with multiple ovarian cysts and hypothyroidism (Gynecol Endocrinol 2008;24:586)
Multicystic ovary associated with hypothyroidism and juvenile granulosa cell tumor
End of Ovary - nontumor > Non-neoplastic cysts/other > Hypothyroidism and ovarian cysts
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).