Cite this page: Embryonal carcinoma. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/ovarytumorembryonal.html. Accessed December 9th, 2016.
Definition / General
- Similar to testicular embryonal carcinoma
- Median age 15 years, patients often present with precocious puberty, also vaginal bleeding, amenorrhea and hirsutism
- Serum hCG always high (positive pregnancy test), AFP sometimes high
- Median 17 cm, smooth and glistening, variegated cut surface with extensive hemorrhage and necrosis
- Sheets and nests of large primitive cells, occasional papillae and abortive glands
- Syncytiotrophoblast-like tumor cells seen (hCG+)