Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Microscopic (histologic) description | Positive stains | Negative stains
Cite this page: Serous tumors - general. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/ovarytumorserous.html. Accessed June 19th, 2018.
Definition / general
- 25% of all ovarian tumors
- 60% benign, 15% borderline, 30% malignant
- May also occur as primary tumors of peritoneal surface
- If cystic, name as serous "cystadeno..."
- If prominent fibrous component, name as adenofibroma or adenocarcinofibroma
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Tall, columnar, ciliated epithelial cells, resembling fallopian tube, filled with clear serous fluid
- Carcinomas frequently have psammoma bodies (concentric calcifications)
- Squamous metaplasia unlikely (in contrast to endometrioid tumors)
- CEA and CDX2