Cite this page: Jain D. Large duct pattern. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/pancreaslargeduct.html. Accessed December 8th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Pattern seen in < 10% of usual ductal adenocarcinoma; similar or slightly better prognosis (Mod Pathol 2012;25:439)
- Ducts are clustered with irregular jagged contours, may have desmoplastic and myxoid stroma, intraluminal neutrophils and granular debris; usually no cystic change
- Focal microcystic appearance may be due to marked ectasia of infiltrating neoplastic glands, particularly near duodenal muscularis propria
- May have papillary pattern (Am J Surg Pathol 2012;36:696)
- Compared to usual ductal adenocarcinoma: higher % female, higher % in tail
- White, sclerotic mass with numerous microcysts < 1 cm, not detectable radiologically