Reviewer: Deepali Jain, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 2 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2001-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Primary disease is rare (<200 cases reported); may originate in peripancreatic or retroperitoneal lymph nodes
● Biopsy required for diagnosis and to avoid resection, which is not required (BMC Cancer 2006;6:117)
● Only diffuse large B cell lymphoma is included in WHO classification
● Usually in elderly
● Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is most common (Am J Clin Pathol 2012;137:414, Diagn Cytopathol 2012;40:732)
● Present with abdominal pain and jaundice due to common bile duct obstruction or abdominal masses
● 58 year old man with follicular lymphoma invading pancreas from adjacent lymph node (JOP 2007;8:44)
● 65 year old woman with advanced angiocentric T cell lymphoma (peripheral T cell lymphoma, NOS) of pancreas and eye presenting as advanced diabetes mellitus with diabetic retinopathy (Hum Pathol 2001;32:741)
Intraoperative findings of follicular lymphoma. a-tumor of head of pancreas; b/c-enucleation procedure for tumo; d-view after tumor enucleation
Angiocentric T cell lymphoma: A-pancreas is heavily infiltrated by lymphoma, with only some residual ducts and islets; B-tumor cells almost replace islet
Diffuse large B cell lymphoma
Diffuse large B cell lymphoma-65 year old man
Follcular lymphoma: a/b-central necrosis (H&E and CD20); c/d-proliferating follicules (H&E and CD20)
End of Pancreas > Other tumors > Lymphoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).