Cite this page: Jain, D. Pancreas divisum. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/pancreaspancreaticdivisum.html. Accessed February 19th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Most common congenital anomaly of the pancreas (3 - 10% of population); most patients are asymptomatic
- Incomplete fusion of dorsal and ventral pancreatic buds / ducts causes separation of ventral and dorsal pancreas as a double pancreas
- Two ductal systems drain separately to two duodenal papillae; may cause isolated dorsal or ventral pancreatitis (25%)
- Not a risk factor for acute pancreatitis (Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2011;13:150) but may be risk factor for recurrent acute pancreatitis
- Duct of Santorini provides main drainage
- Diagnose by imaging studies such as ERCP