Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Case reports | Gross description | Gross images | Differential diagnosis | Additional references
Cite this page: Pernick N. Cimex lectularius (bed bug). PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/parasitologycimexlectularius.html. Accessed July 22nd, 2019.
Definition / general
- Cimex lectularius is the common human bed bug
- Cimex hemipterus is found primarily in tropical regions
- 69 year old woman with bed bugs (Pritt: Creepy Dreadful Wonderful Parasites Blog - Case of the Week 497 [Accessed 9 November 2018])
- Broad oval dorsoventrally flattened body, short rudimentary front wings, laterally flared pronotum lined with setae (hair-like structures), which are shorter than the width of the eye (Pritt: Creepy Dreadful Wonderful Parasites Blog - Answer to Case 395 [Accessed 9 November 2018])
- Bat bug: may bite humans if bats are not available; have longer pronotal hairs; important to differentiate since eradication methods are different (Pritt: Creepy Dreadful Wonderful Parasites Blog - Answer to Case 395 [Accessed 9 November 2018])