Reviewer: Monika Roychowdhury, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 17 February 2013, last major update January 2013
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare variant of parathyroid adenoma; ~ 35 cases reported
● Glandular elements associated with large areas of mature adipose tissue; usually functional; rarely associated with myxomatous stroma, metaplastic bone (Am J Surg Pathol 1978;2:3, Arch Pathol Lab Med 1977;101:28)
● Formerly called hamartoma (Am J Clin Pathol 1977;67:31)
● 40 year old man with myxoid lipoadenoma
(Ann Diagn Pathol 2006;10:294)
● 41 year old woman with elevated serum calcium and parathyroid hormone levels (Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2006;49:404)
● 63 year old woman with ectopic atypical parathyroid lipoadenoma (J Bone Miner Metab 2012 Dec 22 [Epub ahead of print])
● Patient with large functioning parathyroid lipoadenoma in posterior mediastinum (Am J Clin Pathol 1981;76:89)
● Functioning tumor diagnosed by touch prep at frozen section (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1986;110:645)
● Two cases of functioning parathyroid hamartomas, one accompanied by proliferating fat and the other by a myxomatous, fibrillar stroma (Am J Clin Pathol 1977;67:31)
Islands of chief cells in abundant fat
End of Parathyroid gland > Neoplasms > Lipoadenoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).