Water clear cell adenoma
Reviewer: Monika Roychowdhury, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 17 February 2013, last major update January 2013
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare; solitary lesion that compresses normal gland
(Arch Pathol Lab Med 1995;119:1072)
● Only a few cases reported (Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2004;47:39)
● 56 year old woman with a 2 cm thyroid nodule and elevated serum calcium
(Arch Pathol Lab Med 2001;125:256)
● 64 year old HIV+ patient (Diagn Cytopathol. 2011 Dec 5 [Epub ahead of print])
● Case of intrathyroidal tumor (Hum Pathol 2001;32:889)
● Nests and glands composed of cells with abundant foamy, granular cytoplasm, mild nuclear pleomorphism
● Cellular smear with single and loosely clustered tumor cells with finely granular and vacuolated light-purple cytoplasm and central nuclei; occasional microfollicular structures may be present; no colloid seen
(Diagn Cytopathol 2011 Dec 5 [Epub ahead of print])
Electron microscopy description
● Glassy and flocculate material
● Water clear cell hyperplasia of parathyroid gland:
diffuse, affects all glands
● Parathyroid chief cell adenoma: may have clear cell change, but some normal chief cells present
● Clear cell changes in a thyroid tumor: typical thyroid tumor cells present
● Metastatic renal cell carcinoma: multiple nodules, optically clear cytoplasm, delicate vasculature, intracytoplasmic glycogen and fat
End of Parathyroid gland > Neoplasms > Water clear cell adenoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).