Cite this page: Ziadie MS. Acute chorionic vasculitis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/placentaacutechorvasc.html. Accessed November 21st, 2019.
Definition / general
- Vasculitis involving fetal vessels of chorionic plate or umbilical cord
Microscopic (histologic) description and grading
- Neutrophilic infiltration into the wall of umbilical cord / chorionic plate vessels or Wharton jelly
- Severity is determined by the number of vessels involved and the presence of necrosis
- Umbilical vasculitis: specify number of vessels with / without funisitis (extension into Wharton jelly)
- Chorionic plate vasculitis: duration of inflammation may be estimated based on severity of associated maternal response: short (subchorionitis, chorionitis), intermediate (chorioamnionitis) or long (subnecrotizing, necrotizing chorioamnionitis)