Placental gross/microscopic abnormalities, non-neoplastic
Acute chorionic vasculitis
Reviewers: Mandolin Ziadie, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 10 October 2011, last major update September 2011
Copyright: (c) 2003-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Vasculitis involving fetal vessels of chorionic plate or umbilical cord
Micro description and grading
● Neutrophilic infiltration into the wall of umbilical cord / chorionic plate vessels or Wharton’s jelly
● Severity is determined by the number of vessels involved and the presence of necrosis
● Umbilical vasculitis: specify number of vessels with / without funisitis (extension into Wharton’s jelly)
● Chorionic plate vasculitis: duration of inflammation may be estimated based on severity of associated maternal response: short (subchorionitis, chorionitis), intermediate (chorioamnionitis) or long (subnecrotizing, necrotizing chorioamnionitis)
End of Placenta > Placental gross/microscopic abnormalities, non-neoplastic > Acute chorionic vasculitis
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).