Cite this page: Ziadie, M. Blighted ovum. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/placentablightedovum.html. Accessed October 20th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Failure of development or early embryonic demise with persistent trophoblast development, leading to an anembryonic gestation
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Villous stromal edema without central cistern formation or trophoblastic hyperplasia
- Features of karyotypic abnormalities may be present
- 52% are trisomic (smaller villi without cisterns), 20% are triploid (resemble partial moles with focal trophoblastic invaginations, cisterns, irregular surfaces and dysmorphic features) and 15% are XO and 6% are tetraploid
- Before week 8, aneuploidy is most common with embryonic growth disorganization