Placental gross/microscopic abnormalities, non-neoplastic
Reviewers: Mandolin Ziadie, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 10 October 2011, last major update September 2011
Copyright: (c) 2003-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Insertion of the membranes away from the peripheral edge due to a folding / rolling of the chorion on itself
● A portion of extrachorial disc is present at the edge
● Associated with low birth weight and multigravid pregnancies
● Usually attributed to marginal hemorrhage
● The membranes insert away from the peripheral margin
● A firm ridge at the site of insertion is usually present
● If cysts and other gross aberrations present, may be associated with fetal and maternal abnormalities
Double back membranes #1
End of Placenta > Placental gross/microscopic abnormalities, non-neoplastic > Circumvallate placenta
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).