Cite this page: Ziadie MS. Fetal neurologic impairment / cerebral palsy. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/placentafetalCP.html. Accessed July 21st, 2019.
Definition / general
- Various placental lesions are associated with neurologic impairment; the risk of impairment is increased with the number of lesions present (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000;124:1785)
- Cerebral thrombi and infarcts may be present (Hum Pathol 1997;28:246)
- Presence of thrombi may indicate a coagulopathy in parents
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Placental lesions independently associated with neurologic impairment include severe fetal chorioamnionitis, diffuse chorioamnionic hemosiderosis and extensive avascular villi
- Also chorionic vessel thrombi, increased nucleated red blood cells, retroplacental hematoma, meconium associated vascular necrosis, diffuse chronic villitis, perivillous fibrin, nonocculsive thrombi of chorionic plate vessels and severe villous edema (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1998;122:1091)