Cite this page: Avadhani V. Normal anatomy. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/pleuraanatomy.html. Accessed July 20th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Lungs are surrounded by visceral pleural, a delicate serous membrane arranged as a closed invaginated sac
- Inner chest cavity is lined by parietal pleural membrane
- Visceral and parietal pleura define the pleural space / cavity, which normally has minimal volume, unless lungs collapse or air / fluid collects between the two layers
- Only minimal contact between right and left pleural sacs
- Regional lymph nodes are internal mammary, intrathoracic, scalene and supraclavicular