Cite this page: Avadhani V. Black spots. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/pleurablackspots.html. Accessed April 7th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Carbonaceous / anthracotic pigments in parietal pleura
- Present in > 90% of urban dwellers in Belgium at autopsy
- Not related to hyaline pleural plaques (Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26:1198)
- Associated with lymphatic drainage
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Deposits of opaque particles (intra or extracellular) of various sizes under an intact mesothelial layer, associated with chronic inflammatory cells