Cite this page: Avadhani, V. Pleuritis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/pleurapleuritis.html. Accessed July 16th, 2018.
Definition / general
- May be secondary to lung disease, hematoma
- Fibrosis may cause pleural symphysis (fusion of visceral and parietal layers)
- Thickened pleura may prevent lung expansion; treat with decortication
- Hemorrhagic pleuritis: rare, associated with hemorrhage, Rickettsiae infection, tumor
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Thickened pleura is composed of fibrous tissue without elastic fibers