Cite this page: Florid basal cell hyperplasia. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/prostatefloridbch.html. Accessed March 27th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Extensive proliferation of basal cells involving > 100 small crowded acini (per section) forming a nodule (Hum Pathol 2005;36:480)
- When forming a nodule, it has been termed basal cell adenoma or adenoid basal cell tumor
- Almost always mild to moderate nuclear atypia (including prominent nucleoli and nuclear enlargement), intraluminal amorphic secretions
- Also intracytoplasmic hyaline globules (53%), microcalcifications (40%), no crystalloids
- See basal cell hyperplasia for images