Microscopic mimics of prostatic carcinoma
Mucous gland metaplasia
Reviewers: Komal Arora, M.D., (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 22 May 2014, last major update June 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2014, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare (< 0.1% of prostates, Am J Surg Pathol 1993;17:618, Am J Surg Pathol 1993;17:287)
● Mucinous glands lined by tall columnar cells, small basal nuclei with inconspicuous nucleoli
● Resembles Cowper's gland epithelium
● Located randomly within glands and very small (< 1 mm2), mainly periurethral location (Br J Urol 1996;77:113)
● PAS, mucicarmine, Alcian Blue (Br J Urol 1996;77:113)
● PSA, PAP
End of Prostate > Microscopic mimics of prostatic carcinoma > Mucous gland metaplasia
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).