Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Other prostate infections. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/prostateotherprostateinf.html. Accessed February 23rd, 2018.
Definition / general
- Dimorphic fungi are associated with AIDS or other immunocompromise, usually with hematogenous dissemination
- Fluoroquinolone-resistant E. coli, due to transrectal ultrasound-guided biopsy, has gained much attention in recent years; this sometimes leads to hospitalization or is fatal; antibiotic prophylaxis with alternative antibiotics may prevent some complications (World J Urol 2016 May 31 [Epub ahead of print])
- Chlamydia trachomatis and Trichomonas vaginalis are often present (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1986;110:430), but unknown if they are pathogens
- Aspergillus is rarely seen but has been reported in leukemia patients treated with alemtuzumab, an anti-CD52 monoclonal antibody (J Mycol Med 2013;23:270)
- AIDS related changes: epithelial cell apoptosis (simple cell shrinkage and exploding glandular cells), intracytoplasmic inclusions (apoptotic bodies) associated with lipofuscin (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1998;122:875); increased numbers of concretions (Am J Clin Pathol 1990;93:196)