Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma
Reviewers: Komal Arora, M.D., (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 13 June 2016, last major update March 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2016, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Pure or combined with ordinary ductal adenocarcinoma
● Diagnosis restricted to cases having either pure or mixed with an adenocarcinoma component, where the cells resemble small-cell carcinoma of the lung (and elsewhere) histologically
● Serum PSA levels are often not elevated
● May cause Cushings syndrome, syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion
● Some have endocrine features
● Very aggressive, cannot monitor with PSA (unreliable)
● Survival usually less than 1 year (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1986;110:1041)
● Rarely associated with limbic encephalitis (Mod Pathol 1999;12:814)
● Usually large number of apoptotic cells; otherwise resembles lung small cell carcinoma
● Typical features of small cell carcinoma, including high mitotic rate, frequent apoptotic bodies, crush artifact and DNA encrustation of blood vessel walls (Azzopardi phenomenon) are present
● Chromogranin, NSE, TTF1 (Mod Pathol 2000;13:238), CD56 (Am J Surg Pathol 2008;32:65)
● PSA, PAP (Am J Surg Pathol 2008;32:65)
● Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma: extremely rare, described in case reports and in one small study; large and polygonal tumor cells with moderate to abundant cytoplasm, coarsely granular nuclear chromatin and prominent nucleoli (Mod Pathol 2006;19:1358)
End of Prostate > Other carcinomas > Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).