Microscopic mimics of prostatic carcinoma
Reviewers: Komal Arora, M.D., (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 22 May 2014, last major update June 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2014, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Seen in xanthoma or xanthogranulomatous prostatitis
● Localized collection of cholesterol-laden histiocytes, usually idiopathic, may be seen in patients with hyperlipidemia
● May be interpreted as Gleason 4-hypernephroid pattern or clear cell adenocarcinoma, particularly in needle biopsies (Hum Pathol 1994;25:386)
● Abundant vacuolated foamy cytoplasm; small, uniform, benign appearing nuclei, small inconspicuous nucleoli
● May have infiltration of prostatic stroma by cords and individual cells (Am J Surg Pathol 2007;31:1225)
● No mitoses, rare/no necrosis
● Foamy gland carcinoma: crowded or infiltrative glands with abundant foamy cytoplasm, frequently ppink acellular secretions
● Hypernephroid adenocarcinoma: Gleason pattern 4(c); nests of clear cells resembling renal cell carcinoma; small, hyperchromatic nuclei; fusion of acini into more solid sheets with the appearance of back to back glands without intervening stroma
● Pseudohyperplastic carcinoma with xanthomatous changes: nests of medium to large glands resembling hyperplastic nodules; glands have papillary projections, infoldings, undulations; nuclei are basal, small, hyperchromatic, with only rare nucleomegaly (Actas Urol Esp 2010;34:333)
End of Prostate > Microscopic mimics of prostatic carcinoma > Xanthoma cells
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).