Table of ContentsPractitioner should
Cite this page: Pramick, M.R., Baloch, Z.W. Cytopathology competency - 10. system based practice monitors. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/salivaryglandscomppracticemonitors.html. Accessed November 17th, 2018.
- Achieve an understanding of the organization and function of the various technical sections of the laboratory processing and diagnosing salivary gland cytology specimens
- Practice cost effective laboratory utilization and resource allocation that does not compromise quality care
- Develop an awareness of how cytopathology services and other professional practices affect other health care professionals and organizations managing patients based on results of salivary gland cytopathology reports
- Develop clear understanding of the government regulations for State, CLIA, CAP, JCAHO, HIPAA / patient data security requirements for practice management
- Demonstrate an awareness of basic billing requirements (ICD-9 and CPT codes) and reimbursement policies in compliance with Medicare and Medicaid
- Develop an understanding of quality assurance and quality control issues associated with salivary gland pathology; this includes but not limited to:
- Using appropriate controls for each test performed; molecular, IHC, in situ hybridization, etc.
- Histopathologic correlation of atypical and malignant cases