Reviewer: Adriana Handra-Luca, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 27 January 2013, last major update September 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare in oral cavity or salivary glands; metastases must be excluded
● Median age 51 years, range 30-70 years; no childhood cases, no gender preference
● Better prognosis than at other sites - may recur, but no metastases or deaths due to disease (Mod Pathol 2002;15:1020)
● 53 year old man who metastatic myxoid liposarcoma to parotid (Diagn Cytopathol 2011;39:780)
● 77 year old man with primary atypical lipomatous tumor of parotid (Ear Nose Throat J 2009;88:E10)
● 80 year old woman with pleomorphic liposarcoma of parotid (Am J Otolaryngol 2004;25:432)
● Complete excision and careful follow-up
● Mean 4.2 cm (1.5-6.0 cm)
● Well differentiated, myxoid, dedifferentiated or pleomorphic
● Increased lipoblasts
Head and neck liposarcomas, not necessarily salivary glands
Metastatic myxoid liposarcoma to parotid
End of Salivary glands > Sarcomas > Liposarcoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).