Skin - Nonmelanocytic tumors
Other tumors of skin
Hamartoma of scalp with ectopic meningothelial elements
Reviewer: Christopher Hale, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 14 September 2012, last major update September 2012
Copyright: (c) 2001-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Scalp nodule that often arises during infancy containing meningothelial cells; may be diagnosed later in life
● Also called rudimentary meningocele or meningothelial hamartoma of scalp
● Related to meningioma of skin
● 9 year old girl with scalp lesion (Pediatr Dermatol 2011;28:677)
● 78 year old man with scalp lesion (Eur J Dermatol 2011;21:255)
● Whorls or dissecting pattern of meningothelial cells in dermis and subcutis
● Often psammoma bodies and cartilage
● Center of lesion may have long cleft
● Adipose tissue, blood vessels, nerves admixed with lesion
H&E and immunostains
● Vimentin, EMA
● CD34, CD31, factor VIII related antigen, AE1/AE3, S100 and alpha-smooth muscle actin
● Metastatic carcinoma, spindle cell/pleomorphic lipoma
End of Skin - Nonmelanocytic tumors > Other tumors of skin > Hamartoma of scalp with ectopic meningothelial elements
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).