Skin - Nonmelanocytic tumors
Pigmented follicular cyst
Reviewer: Christopher Hale, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 29 June 2012, last major update June 2012
Copyright: (c) 2001-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Variant of follicular (infundibular-type) cyst
● Hyperpigmented lesion with epidermal-type keratinization
● Contains laminated keratin, pigmented hair shafts, some growing hair follicles, usually head/neck
● 23 year old male with blue-black 0.5 cm nodule on neck
(J Am Acad Dermatol 1989;21:1073)
● Solitary hyperpigmented nodule or dome-shaped papule, 0.4 to 1.5 cm in diameter
● Lined by squamous epithelium, sebaceous tissue
● Contains pigmented, medullated hair shafts
Medullated hair shafts in cyst lumen
● Dermoid cyst (cutaneous)
● Vellus hair cyst (eruptive)
End of Skin - Nonmelanocytic tumors > Cysts > Pigmented follicular cyst
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).