Small bowel (small intestine)
Benign tumors and tumor-like conditions
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 22 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Associated with multiple endocrine adenomatosis or von Recklinghausen’s disease (neurofibromatosis 1)
● With NF1, also associated with hyperplasia of submucosal and myenteric nerve plexuses, mucosal ganglioneuromatosis, GI stromal tumors, gangliocytic paraganglioma
● GISTs arising in NF1 do not express the typical sporadic GIST mutations of KIT exon 9, 11, 13, or 17 or PDGFRA exon 12 or 18; suggesting a different pathogenesis (Am J Surg Pathol 2006;30:90)
● 52 year old woman with isolated intestinal neurofibromatosis in colon (World J Gastroenterol 2008;14:6569)
● 73 year old man with intestinal neurofibromatosis and small-bowel adenocarcinoma (Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 2009;18:466)
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Benign tumors and tumor-like conditions > Neurofibroma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).