Cite this page: Gulwani, H. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/smallbowelZEsyndrome.html. Accessed May 26th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Syndrome due to production of gastrin that enters systemic circulation by gastric, pancreatic or peripancreatic carcinoids
- Tumors may be very small and difficult to detect
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Variable villus abnormality with increased chronic inflammatory cells and neutrophils in lamina propria; may have surface erosions
- Also gastric foveolar metaplasia of duodenum
- May be normal by H&E but abnormal by EM