Small bowel (small intestine)
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 14 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Autosomal recessive, linked to zinc deficiency, affects children
● Genetic defect mapped to SLC39A4 gene at 8q24, encodes zinc transporter Zip4 (J Am Acad Dermatol 2007;56:116)
● Cutaneous lesions (perioral and extremity skin lesions, alopecia, nail dystrophy), diarrhea, malabsorption
● Zinc sulfate
● Severe villus abnormality in some; normal in others
Electron microscopy description
● Rodlike fibrillar inclusions in Paneth cells
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Malabsorption > Acrodermatitis enteropathica
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).