Small bowel (small intestine)
Chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 18 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Symptoms of intestinal obstruction without mechanical obstruction
● Attributed to abnormal physiology of gut propulsive system
● Local manifestation of generalized disease: diabetes, hypoparathyroidism, Parkinson’s disease, SLE
● Diseases with intestinal pathology: amyloidosis, Chagas’ disease, dermatomyositis/polymyositis, Duchene’s muscular dystrophy, myotonic dystrophy, myxedema, scleroderma
● Also drugs (anti-Parkinson, clonidine, mushroom poisoning), pheochromocytoma, psychosis,
● May be due to marked reduction in interstitial cells of Cajal (Am J Surg Pathol 2003;27:228)
● By definition, excludes known mechanical causes of obstruction: cathartic colon, ceroidosis, Hirschsprung’s disease, visceral myopathies (muscle cell degeneration/loss, fibrosis of muscularis propria), visceral neuropathies (familial-Am J Surg Pathol 2010;34:1528, sporadic; require special techniques to demonstrate)
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Obstruction > Chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).