Cite this page: Gulwani H. Colchicine toxicity. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/smallbowelcolchicine.html. Accessed November 20th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Colchicine is an alkaloid with antimitotic ability used to treat various medical conditions; toxicity can result in multiorgan failure and death (Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25:1067)
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Abundant epithelial mitotic figures with metaphase arrest
- Often enlarged epithelial cells with condensed chromatin in a ring formation within center of cell
- Associated with epithelial loss of polarity and pseudostratification
- Nuclei small, hyperchromatic and compressed to periphery of cell