Small bowel (small intestine)
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 17 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Acid fast protozoa which causes self-limited disease in immunocompetent, but severe watery diarrhea resistant to most therapy in immunocompromised (J Biomed Res 2012;25:1)
● Acid-fast infective oocyst in stool
● 2-5 micron basophilic spherical structures attached to microvillus surface of epithelium
● Variable villus abnormality, may have eosinophils infiltrating mucosa
● Giemsa, silver stains, PAS
● Cellular debris
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Infectious disorders > Cryptosporidium parvum
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).