Cite this page: Gulwani H. Dermatitis herpetiformis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/smallboweldermatitisherp.html. Accessed May 21st, 2019.
Definition / general
- Usually present with skin manifestations only and are not aware of the underlying small bowel problems
- Resembles celiac sprue - both respond to gluten free diet (skin lesions improve), both associated with HLA B8 and HLA DR3, both associated with lymphoma
- Pruritic, papulovesicular lesions symmetrically distributed on scalp, buttocks, extremities, with granular deposition of IgG at epidermal dermal junctional
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Severe mucosal lesion on small bowel biopsy
- May be patchy with variable villus abnormality