Cite this page: Gulwani H. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/smallbowelehlersdanlos.html. Accessed March 20th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Defect of collagen synthesis, commonly causes hyperelasticity of skin and joints
- May cause spontaneous intestinal perforation and hemorrhage
- Perforations are most common in rectosigmoid, small bowel perforations (normal or diverticulae) are less common
- Colonic perforation may be associated with abnormal myogenic activity
- 53 year old woman with occult perforation of distal ileum (Cases J 2010;3:57)