Small bowel (small intestine)
Benign tumors and tumor-like conditions
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 19 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Endometrial glands, stroma and hemosiderin in small bowel
● Mean age 44 years, range 28 to 56 years
● Presents with pain, mass or incidental findings
● May cause obstruction or mimic other diseases
● Rarely complicated by neoplasms or precancerous changes (Am J Surg Pathol 2000;24:513)
● Endometriosis associated tumors include endometrioid carcinoma, MMT (Hum Pathol 2000;31:456)
● Alterations in N-cadherin expression may cause deep tissue invasion (Mod Pathol 2010;23:38)
● 44 year old woman with diffuse abdominal pain (World J Gastroenterol 2008;14:3430)
● 51 year old woman with clinical diagnosis of pancreatitis due to high amylase (J R Soc Med 1999;92:17)
● Serosal and subserosal nodules < 5 cm
● Smooth muscle hypertrophy
● Gray cut surface with minute areas of hemorrhage
● Endometrial glands, stroma (may show decidualization), hemosiderin in deeper layers
● Fibrosis of bowel wall, neuronal hypertrophy (Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25:445)
● Mucosal changes similar to those in Crohn disease, prolapse, ischemia
● CD10 (endometrial stroma)
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Benign tumors and tumor-like conditions > Endometriosis
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).