Small bowel (small intestine)
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 17 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Dysentery causing protozoa that can also cause fulminant colitis; causes up to 100,000 deaths per year (Trop Biomed 2011;28:194)
● Increased incidence in homosexual men and AIDS patients
● Fecal-oral spread
● Amoeba invade colonic crypts, burrow into lamina propria, create flask shaped ulcer with broad base
● 40% invade portal vessels, embolize to liver and cause abscesses up to 10 cm
● May activate apoptosis in target cells (Trends Parasitol 2011;27:254)
● Rare abscesses in lung, heart, kidneys, brain
Amoebic colitis, numerous trophozoites of amoeba are noted (courtesy of Dr. Hanni Gulwani)
Amoebic colitis, PAS stain (courtesy of Dr. Hanni Gulwani)
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Infectious disorders > Entamoeba histolytica
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).