Small bowel (small intestine)
Benign tumors and tumor-like conditions
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 22 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Extremely rare in small intestine
● May be part of Carney complex (familial myxoma syndrome), an autosomal dominant syndrome with 17q2 mutation and cardiac and cutaneous myxomas, lentigines, myxoid fibromas of the breast, pituitary adenomas, primary adrenocortical micronodular hyperplasia with Cushing syndrome, psammomatous melanotic schwannoma, testicular large cell calcifying Sertoli cell tumor (Medicine (Baltimore) 1985;64:270)
● 47 year old woman with simultaneous cardiac and small bowel myxoma (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2003;127:481)
● Intraluminal, pedunculated, firm round nodule with smooth and ulcerated mucosal surface, myxoid and gelatinous cut surface
● Bland, stellate stromal cells and small, mature capillaries widely separated by myxoid material
● Scattered lymphocytes and plasma cells
● No mitotic activity, no atypia
● CD117/KIT, CD31, smooth muscle actin, S100
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Benign tumors and tumor-like conditions > Myxoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).