Small bowel (small intestine)
Small cell carcinoma
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 12 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare, in few cases reported, prognosis better than for small cell lung tumors
● Sheets and nests of small, round cells with scanty cytoplasm, hyperchromatic nuclei, stippled chromatin, indistinct nucleoli, numerous mitotic figures and apoptotic cells
● Foci of necrosis and vascular invasion common
● Resembles pulmonary tumor
● Pure or mixed with adenocarcinoma
Tumor of proximal ileum; figure 4 is synaptophysin
● Neuroendocrine markers, CK8, may be TTF1 positive
Electron microscopy description
● Membrane-bound dense core granules
● Arch Pathol Lab Med 2003;127:e357,
J Clin Oncol 2004;22:2730,
J Clin Pathol 2010;63:620
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Carcinoma > Small cell carcinoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).