Small bowel (small intestine)
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 17 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Disease occasionally seen in less developed countries
● Small intestinal disease may be transmitted via contaminated milk
● Symptoms: abdominal pain, malabsorption, strictures, perforation, fistula
● Terminal ileum, cecum, appendix
● Multiple and circumferential ulcers and strictures
● Confluent granulomas with central necrosis and peripheral lymphocytosis
● Destruction of muscularis propria, scarring
Granulomas in mucosa and submucosa
Ileocecal tuberculosis in 45 year old woman; epithelioid granulomas with Langhan’s giant cells in lamina propria (courtesy of Dr. Hanni Gulwani)
Ileocecal tuberculosis and adjoining draining lymph node (courtesy of Dr. Hanni Gulwani)
● Acid-fast stains
● Crohn’s disease: linear and serpiginous ulcers; no bacteria identified (World J Gastroenterol 2011;17:433, BMJ Case Rep 2009;2009.1729)
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Infectious disorders > Tuberculosis
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).