Soft tissue tumors
Reviewer: Vijay Shankar, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 23 February 2013, last major update November 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
Leiomyoma: see also classic, bizarre, cutaneous, epithelioid, genital, leiomyoma of deep soft tissue
● Called leiomyoblastoma in stomach
● 29 year old pregnant woman with myxoid epithelioid leiomyoma of vulva (Gynecol Oncol 2006;103:342)
● 40 year old woman with vaginal mass (The Internet Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics)
● 42 year old woman with breast tumor with granular cell change (Hum Pathol 1993;24:1260)
● 46 year old woman with bladder tumor (Case Rep Urol 2012;2012:759150)
● 48 year old man with urethral tumor (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000;124:302)
● 50 year old woman with tumor of buccal mucosa (Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1996;82:670)
● Laryngeal tumor (Histopathology 1994;24:155)
● Round or polygonal cells, distinct cell borders, eosinophilic cytoplasm
● May have areas of classic leiomyoma, so take more sections
● May have perinuclear halo
● May have vacuolated cytoplasm (artifact of fixation)
Vaginal tumor #1:
#2: smooth muscle actin+
● Desmin, smooth muscle actin
● PEComa: clear cells, often atypia and necrosis, HMB45+
End of Soft tissue tumors > Smooth muscle > Epithelioid leiomyoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).