Soft tissue tumors
Low / intermediate grade vascular tumors
Giant cell angioblastoma
Reviewer: Vijay Shankar, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 24 February 2013, last major update November 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare, congenital/neonatal soft-tissue tumor, infiltrative but slow growing; appears to be benign
● Hand, palate, scalp, rarely bone (Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 2010;39:752, Diagn Pathol 2012 Aug 29;7:113)
● Surgery, interferon-alpha
● Ulcerated tumors infiltrating soft tissue and bone
● Solid, nodular, and plexiform proliferation of oval-spindle cells with striking concentric aggregation around small vascular channels
● Cells resemble undifferentiated mesenchymal cells, fibroblasts, myofibroblasts, pericytes
● Also large mononuclear and multinucleate giant cells with histiocytic features (Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25:185)
● CD68 (large mononuclear and multinucleate giant cells)
● Bacillary angiomatosis: positive special stains for organisms, patients usually immunosuppressed
● Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma with osteoclast-like giant cells: Factor 8+ cells that don't resemble oval-spindle cells of giant cell angioblastoma, no concentric aggregation around vessels
● Giant cell fibroblastoma: CD34+, molecular rearrangements of #17 and #22
● Myopericytoma: older age group, no giant cells
● Plexiform fibrohistiocytic tumor: children/young adults, no onion-skin layering of tumor cells around vessels
End of Soft tissue tumors > Low / intermediate grade vascular tumors > Giant cell angioblastoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).